Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Pressure from Others

It is interesting when you have a child that everyone has an opinion. Now don't get me wrong, sometimes advice is good especially when you are a first time mom but sometimes, it's just annoying.
For example, when we went to North Carolina for Christmas, my daughter was 7 months old at the time. We were feeding her baby food. My relatives thought we were crazy! How come you aren't giving the baby some table food? Give that baby eggs, etc. etc.! So, when I went down there again for President Day Weekend, what stage of baby food is she on now? Stage 3? After they chuckle, of course!
But we felt like what's the rush? She has her whole life to eat table food? And if she is eating baby food, than why not?
Another issue...the McDonald's issue. Have you given her fries? Last I heard McDonald's food is fattening and is high in sodium. So, I am not sure why I would rush out there to give my 11 month old fries from McDonald's when I barely eat their food myself...with the exception of the salads. I am not saying I am not going to ever feed her McDonald's but I don't feel like I should go out of my way to give it to her now especially since she knows nothing about it.
It's funny because I've heard on the news last week that 1 out 4 children under the age of 4 are overweight! Maybe part of that is the need to give young kids McDonald's and other fattening foods....
Another issue...do you give her candy? My child barely has four teeth...almost but not quite. My aunt tells me I could at least give her a lollipop to let her suck on as a treat. Of course, she is the same one who sarcastically asked what stage of baby food is she on now? But anyway, I don't feel it is time to introduce her to candy just yet...she has the rest of her life for that! So, what is the big rush!!!!
LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment